Today marks 6 days in the hospital with this stupid kidney infection. I never knew someone could be so sick with a simple kidney infection. Many different things were working against me fighting off this E.coli infection - hemoglobin of 6.9, my body just going thru major surgery, my body not being able to fully recover, and me having a catheter in for 36 hours after delivering. So since I have been admitted, we have done many things and made some changes to our plans. I have been on 3 different antibiotics - one of which I cannot breastfeed - therefore I get to pump and dump, while Evan gets formula. I was not happy about this situation at first, however, he weight is now above his birth weight (which he weighed 6lb 1oz exactly one week ago). He likes the formula! Mommy has a very hard time dumping out the breastmilk, but we will eventually get back to pumping and feeding him breastmilk thru the bottle once these antibiotics leave my system.
I have been spiking fevers around every 12 hours with fierce shakes and chills. My temps have slowly been decreasing - starting at 104.5 on admittence to now 99.1. I was given 3 units of packed red blood cells, which was a very scary experience for me since I am aware of all of the horrible things that can happen with blood transfusions. I started to spike due to a reaction to the blood, which they then slowed down, gave me more premeds and continued to complete the units ordered. Boy did that make quite the difference! :)
As some of you already know, we had a HORRIBLE week last week. Friends of ours were 20 weeks pregnant with twins and she went into preterm labor, which could not be stopped. Unfortunately, they had to make the hardest decision in their lives and both babies were able to meet their parents and then went to be angels to protect their parents and someday meet again. This was extremely hard for me to experience, since I just had a baby myself and I could not imagine what my friends were feeling. I was exhausted from thinking about their situation and from crying all night and day. I am trying to be a strong friend and provide support without hurting them with being excited about our new addition. And then we got a call later that night that said Evan needed to come to Children's Mercy immediately for labs. He was diagnosed with MCAD, a genetic enzyme defeciency where he can break down sugars but not fats. So, he has to be on a liquid supplement twice a day. He must be fed every 2-3 hours and if he gets sick, stops eating, or starts vomiting - we have to take him to the hospital to be put on IV fluids. He will have to eat a low fat diet when he gets older and eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. We figure that it could be much worse and that the outcome will be a healthier Evan! :) And two days later, we find out that another friend had a miscarriage. Not a good week to be stuck in the hospital, looking at the same 4 walls and feeling like poop.
I am currently waiting on the dr to come in and tell me that I am going home today! They said that this was the plan yesterday, so I am ready - packed and all. I cannot wait to get to go home and spend time as a family. Unfortunately, Jason goes back to work on Wednesday so we will only have 1 day together to spend as a family. I am not happy with the hand we have been dealt for the last 2 weeks - however, I wouldn't trade it for the world. We have a beautiful and healthy baby boy and at least I was the one who was sick - not him! The feelings are constantly overwhelming me - I cannot believe how much you can love someone so fast! Jason and I are just in awe over him and cannot keep our lips off of his skin. I will post some more pics of his Easter at Grandma and Grandpa Smith's - he even got his first easter basket and easter bunny! Grandma and Grandpa Smith took care of our lil' peanut during the nights this weekend - helping a ton for us to try and get some rest! He enjoyed his time with them and I can guarantee that they would say the same. Even Aunt Jennifer got to room with him for a little bit!
Please continue to keep us in your prayers. I will keep everyone updated on our family and how Evan is growing. His dr's follow up appointment went great today - he is now 6lbs 13oz! He is a growing boy - and going to be a chunky monkey before we know it!!!! :)
Monday, April 13, 2009
Will I be home sweet home?
Posted by Amber at 4/13/2009 10:21:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amber, I was wondering if you were home yet. I am so sorry to hear about everything. All of us at work have been thinking about you and your family. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.
I hope you made it home today! You have had an awful week & I hope things get better from here. I am still in disbelief about your friends losing their babies, I have been thinking of them a lot. I hope you are feeling better & I am glad to hear Evan is gaining weight. I thought he was going to have to be on special formula, but it doesn't sound like it from you post. Can't wait to see you both soon, I have your curtains done for the windows.
Post a Comment