I was finally unchained from the hospital bed at NKC hospital! I was able to come home last afternoon (Monday afternoon) around 3:00. Jason dropped Evan and I off and headed to the grocery store. He got a little taste of what I have been eating in the hospital yesterday and he is wanting me to have some yummy food! He came home and made a wonderful meal - penne pasta, italian sausage with spaghetti sauce, breadsticks, and a salad. I took care of Evan, while he was cooking it up in the kitchen like a chef. :) I have never tasted food so good - and I was taken complete care of by my husband.
So in this last day, I have really gotten a taste of what it is like to be a real mother - in her own home! I am trying to begin to learn Evan's schedules, remember to give him his supplement, write down each time he eats so that he is eating every 2-3 hours, mix a bottle in speed time, change a diaper with quick speed so that he doesn't get too cold. Funny that you never think of these things prior to becoming a mother - you think of things that seem so much more important! I love to watch those lil' blue eyes look up at mommy, watch him 'smile', the interactions between my husband and Evan, and watching the lil' mannerisms of this new fella.
Now I know what is so special about being a parent!
As dorky as it may sound, this whole experience has really been a trying time for me and has really put a few things into perspective for me. I realize how it really feels to feel responsible for someone else when they are so weak and helpless. I realize how our kids feel trapped in a room - how crazy it can really make someone. I realize how horrible it feels for those kids who have fevers and chills and I strip their covers from them (been there). :) I realize how great it feels to have a family of your own and look forward to the future ahead of us! I realize that I have been blessed with a husband that stood by my side, helped make those tough decisions, been my daily visitor, and done all he could to take the best care of Evan and I, both. I felt a little pinch of what our parents must feel when their child is diagnosed with something. Although our situation is not near a cancer diagnosis, it is still hard to see your new baby born with something different. I realize that I have the best friends, family and coworkers ever! Everyone has been so supportive and willing to help in any way. Our parents have been a true blessing and I feel an even more strong bond with each of them! I realize how a little person can change people and put them in a good mood - surrounded by happiness. And most of all, I realize that there are some things that are more important in life - usually the lesser being more important! :) I feel as though I will be a better person because of the last few weeks of pregnancy and the first two weeks of my son's life! A little more grateful for the people and things that surround me daily.
Thanks again for all of you who kept us in your thoughts and prayers! Thank you for all of your support and kind words too. Every little thought, phone call and visit helped us get thru! We know we are blessed to have the friends and family we have!
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
There's nothing like home!
Posted by Amber at 4/14/2009 10:16:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so happy to hear you are settling in at HOME! It sounds like you have a great team going! You all are on my mind constantly, I can't believe the road you have been on the last several weeks. I am hoping the up side is starting! Feel free to call if you need anything at all or just need to talk! Can't wait to come visit soon!
Every time I read a post from you, I get all teared up. It's a good feeling, nothing sad or anything. I just can't get over all the things that you and Jason have had to go through. I think I feel kind of guilty so to speak. Because the two of you had to go through so much to get pregnant, during the pregnancy/labor, and then the few things since Evan's arrival. And I was never trying to get pregnant, but I did, and it was a breeze for me. Like you said earlier today, LIFE. It's got it's way of making you stop and think about so many things. I am just glad that you are better, and Evan is here safe and sound. You, Jason & Evan mean so much to me. I can't begin to tell you. We are so lucky that we can call you our friends. We love you all very much. I look forward to raising our families together through the years and looking back on these times when we are at graduations, weddings, birthdays, births of grandchildren, etc. Thank you for being a part of our family, and letting us be part of yours. I really wish we lived across the street from one another still. I really miss those times we had together!
Post a Comment