Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Can anything else go wrong?

I had just finished posting new pics of our lil' guy this morning and I started feeling a little puny. Last night I had woke up in the middle of the night to breastfeed and felt chilled, simply chalking it up to the fact that I am never fully clothed these days due to breastfeeding! :) This morning I woke up and went to the restroom and felt pain in the right side of my back (near my kidney) and felt like I was having bladder spasms. I called my dr's office and made an appointment for 1:45. I was breastfeeding Evan and I started shaking - eventually I was shaking so bad that I was scared to even hold him. Jason kept asking me if I needed to go to the hospital, but at that time, I felt like I was just chilling again. Then I very quickly turned a corner and was shaking and tensing up so bad that I had multiple layers of clothes and blankets on me and it was not helping at all! Then I started to get scared because I was having a hard time breathing and I was not sure how I was going to be able to walk. Jason called the dr's office and they told us to come in immediately! We were even considering calling an ambulance to transfer me but Jason pulled it together - got Evan ready, me ready and we were on our way!

We got to the office and my blood pressure was elevated, pulse was increased, and I had a temp of 104.1. I was transferred in a wheel chair, but my temp started to break and I was sweating it out. They immediately admitted me - started antibiotics, IV fluids, and took labs. My hemoglobin is 7, when the norm is 12. My potassium has dropped to 3.0, as well. My white blood cell infection lab was not super elevated, however, the dr thinks that it is just starting. I was diagnosed with Pylonephritis aka kidney infection.

I had another episode after breastfeeding Evan around 9:00 this evening. I was shaking so bad that I had to call Jason back to the hospital, when he had just left for the night. They took FOREVER to give me anything to break my fever and I was shaking uncontrollably and having problems breathing. Because of tensing up, my c-section incision was throbbing, as well. So my fever broke, my pain was controlled and I was starting to feel a little better. Jason had mentioned that both times that I had these episodes was after I had just finished breastfeeding. So after much debate and a few tears of defeat - we decided to not risk my health or Evan's and decided to formula feed him while we are inpatient. My number one focus is Evan's health and although I had some feelings of inadequacy, due to not being able to breastfeed - which is soooooo important to Jason and I. So we are going to do the next best thing and formula feed while I am on these antibiotics and they are still in my system - we will then pump and feed him breastmilk per the bottle. Although I am not able to breastfeed him, he will still continue to get the benifits of the breastmilk. I am having a little bit of sadness over this issue, but at least he has better chances of gaining his weight and getting adequate nutrition. He made mommy and daddy soooo happy because he instantly took the bottle and took almost 2 oz with his first feeding. A huge accomplishment for all of us!

Jason and I have spent most of his time off in the hospital - which is frustrating because we want to start taking him places and spend time as a family! We were not planning on him being here for Easter, so we have plans to get him a handsome lil' Easter outfit ... hopefully we can do that by this weekend! Jason has been excellent and is a wonderful dad! He is essentially taking care of me and Evan both. He has been my backbone through all of this and I know that it is hard for him to see me in all of these issues. He is so strong and continues to be strong for me! I love this man more each day - truely! I can never express to him much impact he has had on me throughout all of these pregnancy issues - even from the time we did fertility. I hope that Evan grows up like his father and has the utmost respect for women - especially his wife. I know his daddy will teach him well!!!!!!

As always, we will keep you updated. We are thinking that I should be in here for no more than 48 hours - as long as I stay afebrile. If not, we will then try another antibiotic and I will have to stay in the hospital until I have no fever for 48 hours!

3 comments:

"The Verhulsts" said...

Oh Amber, I'm sorry this is going on! And don't fret about the breastfeeeding, just keep pumping away!I know that part is hard too! Let me know if I can do anything for you!

Tara Billings said...

Amber~
This sucks! You have gone through so much. Stay strong and know that Evan is a lucky little guy to have parents like you and Jason.

Amber said...

Thank you to the both of you. We are getting by and doing good. Wish we were home, but this is the best place for me to be right now! I just pray we are home by Easter! :)