Sunday, September 7, 2008

And on to the 8th week ...

I cannot believe that we are already into the 2nd month. Yesterday we entered the 8th week and are developing at an astonishing rate - now moving up to the size of a pinto bean. This week Baby Smith has now been labeled a fetus. The amniotic sac is housing the baby and (s)he is able to swim around in there!

(S)he will develop the ability to open the jaw, move the tongue and even hiccup, this week. Other movements include: squinting, opening the mouth, and plantar flexion of the toes (I can just picture those little folded out nuggets)! :) All of the organs are almost formed and in place. The outer cells are becoming nerves and the nerves deep within the embryo are becoming the organs, muscles, bones and blood vessels. The heart is in the early stages of development and is now forming.

This is a big week for our lil' bean! We have our next ultrasound this Thursday. My mother will be going to the appointment with me, which is exciting in itself. She is going to be just as excited as I am. I thought it would be nice for her to experience this exciting time with me. We are scheduled for our first normal OB/GYN appt with Dr.R on 9/25. At this appointment, we will be giving all the family history, getting loads of info, and getting another ultrasound. So by the time the 10th week is done, we will have already had 3 ultrasounds! More pictures for us!!!! :)

Here is a little picture of what the bean will look like at the end of this week - no tail!!!



3 comments:

Robyn said...

Hi, I saw your blog link on the April EC board and just wanted to say "Congratulations" - and to wish you all the very best. :)
I've had miscarriages in the past and can relate to how scary as well as exciting pregnancy is after a miscarriage. I hope that you have a wonderful ultrasound this week.

Marshmallow Circus said...

Have a great ultrasound this week!

Amber said...

Thank you ladies! I am really excited now that it is finally here. I hope to see the heartbeat flicker even more and hear that faster heartbeat! It is all so amazing and exciting - almost overwhelming!

Amber