Saturday, September 13, 2008

8 week ultrasound update

** Introducing Baby Smith - our lil' miracle **




On Thursday, I had my 8 week ultrasound (although we are officially 9 weeks today!!!!). I know, I know-it took long enough to update everyone of the details. Everything went great! The beebe is now 1.91cm long and has fast heartbeat of 185bpm (increasing from 120bpm two weeks ago). The sound and flicker of the heartbeat were much easier to make out. With the last scan, the bean was the size of a grain of rice and now (s)he is the size of a pinto bean! (S)he is growing at a fast rate, but this week the growth will slow down to a more consistent and steady pace.

The four chambers of the heart are now formed and blood is being pumped throughout the body! The beebe is now able to hiccup and react to loud noises. (S)he now sleeps and awakes, drinks the amniotic fluid for nutrition, and excretes waste. This week the eyelids remain fused shut for a while yet. Their external ears are formed and their inner ears are now filled with fluid—now starting to develop the sense of balance. The kidney is actually functioning now, which means (s)he has started urinating.

My mom had went to the ultrasound appointment with me, because Jason was unable to take time off of work. It was a very exciting day to share with my mom, although I was a little sad that Jason was not there. My mom was so amazed at everything that was going on. She reminded me that when I was younger, ultrasounds were not done - even to determine the gender of your baby! Therefore, my parents never knew beforehand if I would be a girl or boy. So, this was a huge experience for her. She was sooo excited and intrigued that Dr.G gave her her own picture of the ultrasound to take home!!! It was a wonderful day to spend with my best friend!

So I, of course, took a video of our appointment - mainly to show Jason. However, I thought I would post it for all of you as well. I am also attaching the ultrasound picture of Baby Smith. (S)he is facing down with the head at the right side of the screen. Our little bean is growing so quickly!

Oh, one more thing! I have to give a huge THANK YOU to a co-worker for giving me these nausea bracelets to wear. I feel like I am in the 80's, wearing sweatbands around my wrists. But as hesitant as I was, these things actually works (so much that I am going to send a friend of mine these bands to help her)! Jason and I went to dinner with some friends last night and I ate my first actual meal and felt great! I have had a little bit of nausea, but only so faint compared to what it was - simply because now my body wants me to eat more and more often! My little belly is starting to form, my little pot belly is growing. I will post pictures later!

Sorry for the long post, I feel like I had so much to talk about! We are officially released from the fertility specialist and will have our first normal OB/GYN appointment on September 25th. The beebe will be right in the middle of 10 weeks at that point - so the ultrasound will be even more exciting to see!!!





2 comments:

"The Verhulsts" said...

What a great little heartbeat! Makes me tear up. Hope I get to see you at work soon!
Tiff
P.S. I'm so glad someone introduced you to the seabands!!

The Bufkin's said...

I can't even express how happy I am for yall! Babies are such an amazing miracle and I am so thankful you are able to experience it. I miss all of yall! I promise I am going to come visit before we leave. Life has been CRAZY these days! :)