Friday, April 3, 2009

Our Little Peanut IS HERE!!!

Waiting for our lil' man to arrive ....



Proud Daddy with his new son!


Introducing Baby Smith in the first minutes of his life!



Our new and complete family :)



Evan Thomas Smith - Born on April 1st at 6:55PM
Weighing 6lbs 12 oz, 20 inches long


Our lil man finally arrived - his birthday was April 1st at 6:55PM. This day is extremely special because Jason and I went on our first date nine years ago to the day!!! He was 6lbs, 12 ounces and 20 inches long. He has a little bit of dark hair and great skin color! His mommy and daddy are so very proud. I ended up going into labor on Wednesday and progressing as I should have, on Pitocin. However, the thought is that I had some sort of issue with the epidural and ended up having neck spasms so bad that I could not even lift my chin to push. I had a knot the size of a golf ball in my upper/middle of my neck/back. It was so bad that I couldn't even go further with pushing, due to the pain. So I was given the option of trying to continue pushing, try the vaccum, or go ahead with a c-section. I decided to try to keep pushing, however, I pushed two more times and gave up.

(Have to stop and come back later to finish)

After watching Jason trying to stay strong for me, and having a major cry - we decided it was best to go with the c-section. The OR was another totally horrible experience, my neck contracted from the top to the center of my back - which was completely scary. After getting a med to calm my nerves and help my neck/back relax, the surgery began. It only took about 10 minutes of cutting before we heard our lil' guy scream - the best sound in the entire world! Jason and I both started crying hysterically in excitement!!! Our son - we finally got to see him and hear his lil' voice. Jason left the OR - they took an hour to sew me up and another hour to recover me. Finally, I got to see my family and my new son around 10:30PM. What a joy it was!

My neck has had no issues since they pulled my epidural and labor was actually an excellent experience (other than the neck pain issue). After everything we have been through, from day 1 to get this lil' man - it has been completely worth every minute. Jason gets tearful every time he talks about our family, our son, and our new beginning! Even after only 2 days, we are extremely proud and feel sooooo completely blessed to be the parents to a beautiful and healthy baby boy! We have had numerous visitors and he has gotten all sorts of cute lil' gifts! He is a blessed lil' boy and we are so blessed to be his parents!

I am finally attaching some pictures for all of those who have been going crazy - wanting to see Baby Boy Smith! Another huge announcement is his name (drumroll please ......)

EVAN THOMAS SMITH

Daddy thinks that he does look like an Evan, so we finally decided on a name about an hour ago. We were forced to decide tonight so that the birth certificate can be typed up, prior to us leaving tomorrow. The plan is to be discharge to go home tomorrow, however, my blood level is at 7.1 and if it continues to drop, I may have to have a blood transfusion - but I have not had any symptoms yet. Evan is having a little bit of an issue with keeping his temperature adequate, but this is because he is 3 weeks early. Breastfeeding is going okay, but I cannot wait until it gets easier. We are trying sooo hard because it is very important to us! When someone says that breastfeeding is difficult, times that by 1,000 times worse than you think it will be to get started. It is very, very difficult - but sooo worth it for the health and bonding time with my son!

I will continue to update, as I can! Life has now changed and it is not quite as easy for me to get on here so often! :) We love our new family and thank all of you for your love, support and prayers throughout this process! We are finally a complete family and look forward to all the fun years ahead of us!!!!

6 comments:

Whitney and Dustin said...

Oh, he is SUPER CUTE!!!! I can't wait to meet him!

"The Verhulsts" said...

Your post made me tear up!! So sweet and he's BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats on parenthood!! Enjoy these moments as they pass way too fast!

Stacia said...

Congrats Amber!! He's adorable!! Totally worth every minute, I hear ya! :) Hugs to you & the new family!

The Bufkin's said...

Congrats y'all! Enjoy that sweet angel! Breastfeeding is SO hard at first but if u can hang in there for two weeks you can make it! Keep us posted if you have time! :)

Phil & Debbie said...

Congratulations to both of you! Enjoy every single moment while he is little because he will grow up much too soon!

Amy said...

Congrats! He is sooooo cute.