Friday, February 27, 2009

Lil' man Smith is being a stinker!!!

I went for my 32 week Dr's appointment today - business as usual. However, my lil' man had alternate plans for my day. Everything checked out fine - my weight gain, fundal height, and his heart rate. Then she took my blood pressure ... 4 times! My blood pressure was in the 140/90's range, with my norm being 100/60's. Dr Spell came in to talk with me, check me out and take my blood pressure again. Now they were 150/100's. So she gave me some education on Pregnancy Induced Hypertension and Preclampsia and reassured me that they would be watching me closely. Then she sent me on my way to be directly admitted to the labor and delivery floor for observation for the next few hours. If my blood pressure decreased, I would be able to go home after a few hours - if not, I would have to stay the night.

Knowing how important my blood pressure readings were, I was trying to stay calm and not cry. My mom works at the dr's office next door to my OB/GYN and was able to leave work to sit with me in that big, hollow room. My blood pressure started off a little high, but began to go down within a couple of hours. So, they released me! Yeah!!! I have orders for strict bedrest - only getting up to take a shower, go to the restroom, and eat. I have the okay to go to my baby shower tomorrow, but I was told I must keep my feet elevated the whole time and take it easy.

We were not prepared for this little scare, and I am a little concerned at what this means for the next 7 weeks of pregnancy. However, am excited about tomorrow and can only take one day at a time. I am on orders of bedrest until mid-next week until my next appointment. They will then decide to make me cut my hours at work or keep me on strict bedrest. I am trying not to worry and am just praying for a healthy baby at this point.

Dr Spell said that they try to do everything to not have to deliever before 37 weeks, so we have at least 5 more weeks to go. Please just keep us in your prayers - we are positive that everything will turn out just fine! I guess I should consider this my time to relax and rejuvenate before the lil' man comes out to play - being even more of a stinker!!! :)

0 comments: